Rene Antonio Barrios, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist #121218
Serves in person and telehealth clients in Fresno | Serves telehealth clients| Bakersfield | Modesto | San Francisco |Sacramento | San Jose | Oakland
| Folsom | Roseville | Napa
“Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.”
Rene is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who believes in working together with individuals in therapy to achieve their goals toward a life they would like to live. Rene has experience working with individuals, children, adolescents, and families that experience depression, anxiety, substance use, intimate partner violence, schizophrenia, grief, homelessness, anger management, trauma, and barriers with social communication and intimacy. Rene understands that taking the step to come to therapy can be vulnerable which is why Rene strives to make it a safe and welcoming environment.
My Approach & Values
Rene earned his Bachelor of Arts from University of St. Francis, majoring in Psychology with minors in Gerontology and Spanish. Rene’s passion in the helping profession began when he worked for Saint Agnes Medical Center assisting the homeless and underserved population in Fresno County. He found a great need for mental health services in this community which was a catalyst for him to pursue his education and later earn his Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology from Santa Clara University.
Rene has experience providing treatment to people in variety of clinical settings. As a MFT Trainee Rene provided school-based services to children and adolescents K-8 as well as providing outpatient treatment to adults and families. As an associate Rene gained experience working with survivors as well as perpetrators of intimate partner violence/child abuse at the Marjaree Mason Center. Most recently, Rene worked with individuals that experience severe mental illness who required the support of an LPS conservatorship with the County of Fresno. Throughout his experience, Rene works to honor each person’s integrity and strength when they come into therapy. Rene believes therapy is most beneficial when it is a collaborative and transparent process. Rene regularly employs meditation, mindfulness, music, and role play in therapy. Rene works from a Humanistic approach which emphasizes a person’s free will and values while also integrating Psychodynamic theory which examines past experiences and how they shape our current life. Rene also implements a variety of approaches such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Solutions-Focused Brief Therapy, and Family Systems Therapy. Rene provides mental health services in both English and Spanish.
Certifications and Specialized Training
- 2021 Infant Preschooler Mental Health (IPMH) 26-unit Training: Meraki-Minded Professional Development
- 2021 Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) Externship Program- Aikin and Associates at the Greater Sacramento-Davis EFT Center
- 2018-40-Hour Domestic Violence Counselor Training, Marjaree Mason Center
- 2019-Child Abuse Intervention Program, Marjaree Mason Center
- 2019-Anger Management Program, Marjaree Mason Center
- 2019-Co-facilitator, Batterer’s Intervention Program, Marjaree Mason Center
- 2020-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Psychosis, The County of Fresno
- 2020-Wellness Recovery Action Plan, Level 1, The County of Fresno
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- CAMFT- The Central San Joaquin Valley Chapter, Continuing Education Committee
Monday- 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
Tuesday- 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
Wednesday- 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
Thursday- 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
Friday- 8:00 am to Noon